Saturday, January 22, 2011

Vintage Shopping and Vegan Dinner on Main Street, Vancouver

Well it’s been two weeks so I figure I should write another one of these blog thingers. I don’t want to get out of the habit or else… Okay so there would be absolutely no consequences but SHUT YOUR FACE! How does one shut their face out of curiosity? Let’s see, what’s new in the past 2 weeks? Well last weekend I went vintage shopping with my friend Nikki. It was pouring rain. Like absolutely storm type weather. But nonetheless we trudged through on our quest to hit up Vancouver’s best vintage shops! Or maybe just those shops that were in walking distance from where we parked on Main Street. Either way it was a difficult and treacherous mission! We toured from store to store and even hit up some Antique furniture shops. I think my favorite shop of the day had to be the Bohemia Gallery at 3243 Main Street, Vancouver (@ 16th). Two floors of retro fashion fun! And the owner working on the first floor was cute, quirky and helpful to boot! I ended up getting this cute belt:

Although it’s not actually vintage it’s vegan and awesome! In fact I’m wearing it right now! Nikki had a much more successful day with shopping than I did. She scored a cute purse, gorgeous little black lace dress and a couple cute shirts as well!

After our shopping escapades were completed we headed over to Whole Vegetarian Restaurant at 3068 Main Street, Vancouver. Whole used to be called Bo Kong. I’m not really sure if it changed owners or just the name but the menu was still pretty similar. They have a great variety of Chinese food. They don’t use any dairy or eggs in their dishes so pretty much everything is vegan.(*Note: I think they might have honey in a few of their desserts so if you don’t eat honey you might want to ask). I can’t even remember what we ordered but it was a ton of food, fairly inexpensive, and delicious. The staff are quick and friendly too! After dinner we decided we still needed dessert (despite being ridiculously full of wonderful Chinese food). So I took out my handy dandy iPhone and typed in something to the effect of “vegan dessert main street Vancouver”. The first place that came up was Grub at 4328 Main St, Vancouver. Their website said the menu changed daily but they always have a vegetarian option and a vegan option on the menu. They also mentioned they always have a vegan dessert. So we decided to give it a try. We found parking right in front and stepped out to see a tiny whole in the wall of a restaurant that was packed. The waitress asked us if we had reservations and sadly we did not. I decided to ask if we could just get the dessert to go and she said that was fine. They happened to have an empty table so she sat us down and got us some water while we waited. The dessert that night was a chocolate cake with bananas and fudge on top. AMAZING! Definitely the perfect way to end the day.

No comments: